reckless abandon

reckless abandon

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sometimes we just don't know everything...like when "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant"


Has anyone seen that show, “I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant?”


If not, I don’t really need to explain, since they picked a ridiculous title that is pretty self-explanatory. But for those who are less than aware of the obvious, I'll give you the run-down....
 It’s a show about women who go into labor but don’t realize they are in labor because somehow, (unbeknownst to me) they had no clue that they were with child.

“I didn’t realize that I wasn’t having my period for almost an entire year because my cycle is sometimes irregular, and I just never noticed.”

“I thought the pain from the contractions was food poisoning.”

“The baby kicking inside of me was mistaken as gas….I DID drink that bottle of rootbeer before eating all those beans that I was craving.”

“Oh, I thought that extra 20 pounds was from my new shoes.”

Any pregnant woman can tell you that having a 5-10 pound human inside of you makes it almost impossible to sleep comfortably, eat comfortably, walk comfortably, or even breath comfortably; so it is unfathomable to me that anyone could NOT know they were in their third trimester and on the verge of delivering. But that’s besides the point….these women (all shapes, sizes, ages, educations) apparently had zero warning that they could be pregnant.
….and there you have it, the premise of a show that surprisingly has more than 1 episode. 
(And that was one long synopsis on one that needed no explaining.)

So last night, I didn’t know I was pregnant. 
It was one of those dreams that seemed SO real…and so traumatic…the kind of dream where you wake up and have to take a few minutes to decide if it really happened. The kind of night’s sleep that leaves you living with the remnants of emotions as you go through your whole day with a subconscious confusion from the whole “experience.”  

 In this particularly disturbing dream, I look into the toilet (apparently more babies are born in toilets than most of us realize… at least that’s what “I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant” would lead you to believe) and there in the toilet water was a teeny tiny baby, not fully grown. (My dream-self estimated 28 precious weeks.) I thought I was seeing things until the baby moved, and I yelled to Paul, 
“I didn’t know I was pregnant! [thank you TLC] She’s breathing!” 
(Okay, so looking back, it seems more than obvious that this is not reality, but just stay with me here.) 
So I reached into that water and grabbed my baby out. Her teensy body fit into just one hand. She was so tiny & underdeveloped, and I was so worried about her (and so confused how this happened); yet, I just took my time holding her and figuring out what we should do, pretending everything would be just fine. 
It didn’t seem like an immediate decision needed to be made until she started struggling with her breathing. At that point, I settled on the decision to jog her to the hospital (because in my dream, that seemed normal), tucking her under my sweatshirt for warmth because her skin was so thin and she was so frail. 
(I have no idea why the sweatshirt and not one of the million blankets that I keep in my frigid house…and my choice to jog instead of drive should have been a give-away that it wasn’t real in my world….but Please! It’s a dream.) 
So I get to the hospital and I am trying to find where to go, and everyone is giving me the run-around.The baby is losing oxygen and turning SO pale. The nurses seem kind of annoyed. I reluctantly hand her over to someone who seemed like they were important enough to be a doctor who knew how to save my baby....and they act like she is nothing of priority.
“She’s too young to survive outside of the womb”… and they don’t even give her a chance.

...I waited too long to bring her in!...They didn’t even try!...How did this happen?...I can't process this!

I’m crushed, heartbroken, guilt-ridden, confused, angry….totally devastated. It didn’t matter that I had 3 other healthy kids. It didn’t matter that “it was no one’s fault.” I wanted someone to blame. 
I woke up in mourning, in the morning.

Okay, I know. That’s a morbid and disturbing dream that I could have kept to myself. 
The point is….the reality of losing a baby has never been MY personal reality. It HAS been (and IS) the reality of more friends than I can count, in most scenarios that you can imagine. It seems recently that so many of my friends are experiencing heartache that I could only sympathize with on a limited level without the empathy of having experienced the depth of that loss myself. So while I stand aside unable to do anything to lessen the pain for so many people that I care about as they grieve babies we never got to meet, pregnancies longingly waited for month after long month, and adoptions that never finalized, I realized through one weird dream that their hearts never forget. They always know what they lost. It took a stupid, unrealistic dream to trigger a single ounce of grief that they experience on a consistent basis. 

Subconscious and God can be a crazy thing in the process of awakening.

In taking the whole world (and by the “whole world,” I mean the few people who will actually read my blog) "to bed with me," I know that I run the risk of my dream interpretation hitting someone the wrong way. There’s something very vulnerable about sharing your thought process out loud. I ask for a little grace in interpreting my reason for over-sharing. I realize it's taking a risk with a very sensitive topic….but a risk with the hope that someone else out there who can be as careless with words as me will think twice before opening their mouth to attempt to discuss areas that we have never known or experienced. 
Experience brings awareness and wisdom. And not having had experienced something doesn’t mean that we aren’t wise, it means that we can’t relate in that area. I'm learning that it’s not to say that you avoid people who have had different experiences and heartaches, it means sitting quietly with them and letting them do the talking. 

Sometimes being a friend is being there, saying nothing.


Proverbs 17:27-28 (NIV)
The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered. Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.


...And Sometimes it means not sharing a stupid dream and pretending that you can relate when really a dream is something you can simply wake up and move on from….well, it probably should mean that…but just this once, for educational purposes in breaking the naivete of all those other “mouth-runners,” I write.




1 comment:

  1. I once had a similar dream that I was pregnant and then had a miscarriage and could hold the baby in my hand. And I was holding the baby and then she looked like a broken doll and I was crying and suddenly I was standing on a cliff over the ocean and the pieces just blew from hand into the waves below. But mine was after I had my son and I had been told I was pregnant with twins at one doctor visit and then at the next one they only found one heartbeat. Then when I delivered, there were two placentas. And I hadn't thought that it had affected me very deeply as I had a healthy baby and was so grateful for that after having years of infertility issues. But after the dream I realized I did need to mourn that loss and now when people ask, I tell them that I had twins but lost one in my first pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete