reckless abandon

reckless abandon

Saturday, November 1, 2014

#Day1: So-long clutter! (for at least the month of November)

It's been a long week.
I'm emotionally exhausted.
This one should be to the point...


My friend, Lara, has humbly approached me to do a "month of minimizing" in which each day of the month,  I will need to get rid of that number of items.
(Ie. nov 1- get rid of 1 item,
nov 2- get rid of 2 items,
nov 3- get rid of 3 items,
and so on, and so forth...
...and yes, that means I will have to get rid of 30 items in one day at the end of the month...
and that also means that during the month of November I will be getting rid of hundreds of items...454 to be exact.)


So when my friend asked me to join her, I laxidasicaly agreed, assuming I'd do my typical "make it halfway and fade out." ...but then she said something like "let's totally embarrass ourselves by showing everyone all of our junk that makes us look like borderline hoarders  and we need to post pictures of our items each day with a hashtag for extra accountability."

Ummm...hold up!
Come on! I don't invite people over much because of my insecurities in the homefront, and you want me to post pics of the stuff I wanted to hide in my basement for all the world to mock see?!
 Seriously?! I thought you were my friend.




.....Okay, whatever. You caught me at a weak moment and I'll probably quit anyway....

And so begins my attitude of the insecurities that made me give my friend the disclaimer that "I may not be able to do it for a big portion of the month, because I'm traveling for Thanksgiving."
(...Which, in case you were wondering, was denied with: "I guess you'll have to plan ahead!"

So here's to me not being able to say "no" to a challenge.

(I promise with some prayer, my attitude will get much rosier...but like I said, it's been a rough week. "Grace and Peace...right?!")

#theminimalistproject
#day1

November 1st......my 1 item.








Okay, so I threw away 1 pencil.
Let me explain....while painting a room with previously mentioned "friend" and her in-laws, we discussed how 2 of us in the room have issues of "saving" things....because...you know...the minute you get rid of something, you will find a need for that specific item and regret saying goodbye.

During this conversation, the "emotional attachment" (not mine per say) to pencils and buckets came up, so when I thought of 1 item I should get rid of, I thought it would be funny to joke about getting rid of a pencil ...until I realized that I have actually saved a Halloween pencil...not from yesterday, but from 2013!

 If it was useful, this might be justified. BUT, it's one of those pencils where you have lots of little tips of individual pieces that you can change out for different colors...the only problem is that if you lose just 1 little piece, the whole thing becomes unstable and useless. Needless to say, one of the colors is long gone and yet the rest still lives on in our house (in case we ever find that other piece).

so...
"Goodbye forever, broken, useless, pencil of colors with 1 missing. I won't miss you! ...well maybe jut a little, when I find that other missing piece."

No comments:

Post a Comment