reckless abandon

reckless abandon

Friday, November 21, 2014

#Day21: A Plan, A Place, and A Price

Today is dedicated to Operation Christmas Child, since all items leaving my house today are soon to travel to distant lands with the message that "God cares, and so do some random people in America."




November 21st, my 21 things:



plus, add all of these...


and you finally get these...



#day21's boxes of love.






Every year in November, my husband and I take our kids to the store to let them each fill a shoebox of toys, toiletries, and other items to donate to another child....
but after Christmas last year, I ran into the clearance rack at Target
....enough said!

I found tons of stocking stuffers at 70-90% off and was able to accumulate a ton of items perfect for sending overseas to some special kids.
...Now, at this point I would probably not condone "stocking up" on anything.... but I feel this one is still justified for 3 reasons:
1. I had a plan with a specific purpose (and date!) when I bought them.
2. I had a place set aside for them, so they were organized (and I knew where to find them!).
3. I spent less on all of this than I would have if each of my kids made just 1 box.

One reason without the others would have nullified any justification, because....
Not much is worse in #theminimalistproject than buying something on a great deal, but forgetting you had it (or misplacing it) and then finding it after the fact.
...Or what about buying something at such a great deal, putting it in a very specific place where you know exactly where to find it....but then it just sits collecting dust, because the opportunity to use it never arises.

So the key is to have:a plan, a place, and a price.





With that said, would I stock up again this year after Christmas? ...I don't know.

I am really attempting a new journey of eliminating excess, and while these boxes of items are in a completely different category (namely, a mission of generosity and service), it's the year of my life to minimize temptaion and break habit.....
the beloved Target clearance rack isn't really the best place for me to be hanging out with that in mind ;)


But regardless of what I decide to do, the moral of the story is...
I'm letting go. I'm learning to simplify. And my heart is releasing the myth of control.
....all of this, while also embracing generosity and giving!
#noclutterNovember





So..."Goodbye, sweet deals. Your purpose has finally arrived, and I let you go with joy and zero regret of having purchased you in the first place.
I love it when a plan comes together...but I must say that I'm glad to have an empty bin in place of your bulk."



PS special, special THANKS to those who have helped add to this giving project: 
my mil, Denise "Grandma" Robinson 
my book club friend, Jessica "F-squared"
and the teacher-extrodinaire, Ms. Bird
You ladies are invaluable! (And I know that it will all come back to you in one way or another.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment